Tuesday, March 30, 2010

2009 Hunt Wrap Up

Here is a wrap up of 2009’s hunts.
I had seven elk hunters in California (two Tule elk hunts and five Roosevelt elk hunts). We took six Boone and Crockett bulls and everyone was successful.
In Nevada I had nine mule deer hunters; seven were successful and everyone had opportunities. The biggest buck we took was a 29 inch 4x4 that was just short of 180 inches taken by Mario Pereira on the first day of his hunt. Here's a photo of Mario's buck.


 nevadaedited2009.jpg

My final big game hunt was a desert sheep hunt in Southern Nevada. I had the good fortune of guiding author and outdoor writer J.Y. Jones of Georgia to a ram that was the completion of his second Grand Slam. I know some of you have read his books and several of you have told me that you really enjoyed One Man, One Rifle, One Land which is a book J.Y. wrote about taking all of the North American species and subspecies with one rifle: a .30-06. J.Y. and I hunted in what is according to "The Huntin' Fool" magazine, the worst unit in Nevada for a non resident to draw. We knew we had our work cut out for us and I scouted for a week before he got there and then we hunted hard for five days before he took the ram in the photo below. J.Y.'s ram is the second biggest ram taken in this unit by 3/4" since 2000. Congratulations J.Y. on your second Grand Slam and a great ram.

img_0087.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment